Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LH Magic Memory #20: Stick To Your Guns in Amsterdam

Did I make you wait long enough?! I've had assignments and exams to deal with but my last one was today and I don't think I failed anything so it's time for another long overdue Magic Memory from the Lost Highway tour!

This one was probably my favourite moment of the tour. If I was going to have a heart attack at any time this year and still die happy, it would have been like this. June 13, 2008 at Amsterdam Arena in the Netherlands. The tone was already set for an explosive night after Holland's 4-1 soccer (football) victory over France was played on the big screens before the show.

Some fans in the front row were holding signs with the lyrics of "Stick To Your Guns" printed on them, but surely that was impossible. After all, the song had only ever been played once, and that was 20 years ago on the Jersey Syndicate Tour. So I can only imagine what it must have been like, as a diehard in that crowd. The anticipation of waiting for the encore. The dull roar of the crowd around you and at your back, the sudden explosion of cheers as the band return to the stage. And then Jon and Richie step up to the mic and start playing that acoustic riff.

Here are a couple of videos. One from Jon's side... Check out Richie's amusement at Jon's confusion. :P


And one from Richie's side. Slightly better sound and includes "Wanted Dead or Alive" which was played immediately after. This video has shots of the signs in the front row.



As you can see, it wasn't executed perfectly. After all, Jon quite clearly didn't know the words and wasn't too sure of the chords either. But they seemed to be having fun with it. Five stars for effort and consideration of the fans. :)

Just for something extra, here is the first and only other time Bon Jovi have played "Stick To Your Guns": Brussels, Belgium on December 15, 1988. Jon flubs the words in this one too. :P

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooo much for posting these videos! You made my night. Stick To Your Guns is one of my favorite all time Jovi songs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for giving me your time.