Friday, October 10, 2008

LH Magic Memory #18: Central Park

When Jon Bon Jovi announced that the band would be doing a free concert in New York's Central Park, I wasn't all that enthused. Apart from the fact that I obviously wasn't going to be there and knew the set would be pretty standard, I was expecting the performance to be half-arsed. I mean, it's a free gig. Not exactly going to contribute squillions to the Swiss bank account.

What we got was on July 12, 2008 was indeed a short show (thanks to the 10pm curfew), but a real committed high-energy performance that shows why Bon Jovi is one of the best live bands going around today. They sure made me eat my hat a few times on the tour!

LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
I really dig this song as a closer to either the main set or the encore, but this video captures the anticipation of the crowd before the band comes on to deliver a signature song. Opening with "Prayer" only had the masses wanting more. The vid is quite shaky though so just pretend you're moshing or something. :P


HAVE A NICE DAY
Loved this song on the Lost Highway tour. It had so much more attitude compared with 2005-06, not to mention better vocals.


ALWAYS
No need to introduce Bon Jovi's biggest worldwide hit. ;)


WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE
One of the best songs to come out of the 80s. What can I say, I love a good extended metaphor. Probably the band's first little foray into "Western" sounds, nearly 20 years before "Who Says You Can't Go Home".


Just a few snippets of what was a great show. In excess of 60 000 lucky people got to be there to experience it.

New York City, USA - Central Park (12/7/08)

LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME
LOST HIGHWAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
RUNAWAY
I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD w/ Start Me Up
BLAZE OF GLORY
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
IN THESE ARMS
WE GOT IT GOING ON
IT'S MY LIFE
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU (Richie Sambora lead vocals)
HAVE A NICE DAY
KEEP THE FAITH
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout

Encore:
ALWAYS
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE
I LOVE THIS TOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for giving me your time.