Wednesday, September 3, 2008

LH Magic Memory #15: Lie To Me in Bristol

Firstly, a little housekeeping: I've been reviewing these "Magic Memories" from the Lost Highway tour since it ended in mid-July and I can tell you that there will be 25 Magic Memories in total to coincide with the band's silver anniversary. This is obviously #15 so there are 10 to go including this one. Rest assured I will still find things to write about when this gig wraps up!

Now onto LH Magic Memory #15. It was the June 25, 2008, at Ashton Gate Stadium in Bristol -- the third last show of the European leg. After playing "Whole Lot of Leavin'", Jon started asking people for song requests. Eventually someone held up a banner for something that hadn't been played this tour and Bon Jovi obliged, performing "Lie to Me" for the first time in 12 years.

Now this is a song that only diehards are likely to know and admittedly, it's probably a song that's not going to pack a huge punch in a stadium if you don't know it. But it's a good emotive song with some killer lyrics. While Tommy and Gina are not specifically mentioned, the song is a continuation of their story -- to which we were first introduced in "Livin' on a Prayer" of course -- and ongoing struggle to make ends meet. And man, Jon's vocal coach is my hero. This is yet another song that I didn't think he would ever sing again, let alone with any real power. But close your eyes and it's like 1996 all over again.


When this cold world comes between us, please tell me you'll be brave
'Cause I can realise the danger when forgiveness fades away
If you don't love me, lie to me
'cause baby, you're the one thing I believe

2 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this.....yes, it's amazing that he nailed that song so many years after the fact. Just so you know, i look everyday to see what you have to say...i enjoy your site so much.....good job Lee............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you like the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for giving me your time.