Sunday, August 24, 2008

LH Magic Memory #13: Rock in Rio

Bon Jovi headlined the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon, Portugal (not Rio de Janeiro as the name might suggest) on May 31, 2008. It was shorter than a regular gig and contained a pretty ordinary set but the energy levels for the first Portuguese Bon Jovi show since 1995 more than made up for that. The concert was also broadcast live on TV, radio and the internet, giving fans around the world a chance to experience this truly amazing performance. To be honest, I was expecting this show to be on auto-pilot. After all, it was "just a festival" and was taking place a mere 16 hours before the band's Barcelona show. History shows I should have given our boys a bit more credit!

Note: The network that broadcasted this show has been pretty strict with its copyright, so if you have trouble watching these videos, they've probably been removed from YouTube. (I only wish the same would happen to that horrendous Tokyo pro shot from January!) Moreover, this is just a selection of videos so do yourself a favour by going to YouTube and searching for Bon Jovi Rock in Rio if you haven't seen this show.

RAISE YOUR HANDS - From New York to Lisbon, Portugal!


ALWAYS - Nice tight performance. Pretty good singing from the crowd.


WE GOT IT GOIN' ON - Jon gets "patriotic" with the crowd. This is probably my least favourite song from the Lost Highway album but it rocked here.


BAD MEDICINE / SHOUT - This medley is overplayed but this video shows why the band keeps playing it. Wow.


LISBON, PORTUGAL - Parque da Bela Vista (31/5/08)
LOST HIGHWAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME
RAISE YOUR HANDS
RUNAWAY
I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD w/ Mercy & Start Me Up
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
IN THESE ARMS
ALWAYS
WE GOT IT GOING ON
IT'S MY LIFE
KEEP THE FAITH
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU (Richie Sambora lead vocals)
BLAZE OF GLORY
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
HAVE A NICE DAY
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER

Encore:
SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

1 comment:

  1. I was secretly hoping you would write about Rock in Rio. Thaaaaaaank you.

    I confess I did not know what to expect with it being a festival. It was overwhelming to see how, in the end, it looked as if every single person was there for Bon Jovi. It was AMAZING!

    I don't like "We got it going on" myself but it was a great moment. I'm the first hand he touches when the security guards pulls him back from the crowd (the hand on his back side is my cousin's - the Bon Jovi convert of the night, also for the show and music).

    =)

    Great review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for giving me your time.