Tuesday, August 19, 2008

LH Magic Memory #12: Can't Help Falling In Love / Bed of Roses in Barcelona

The King, Elvis Aaron Presley died 31 years ago last week (August 16, 1977) at the age of 42. And Bon Jovi, being the Elvis fans they are, posed in gold suits for the cover of the 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong box set in 2004, as a homage to Elvis' 1959 compilation album 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong. With these two things in mind, I thought it would be a good time for this magic memory from Barcelona's Olympic Stadium on June 1, 2008. Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora shared the mic for a riveting acoustic cover of "Can't Help Falling In Love" before launching into a heartfelt performance of "Bed of Roses" (the original and the best). "Can't Help Falling in Love" is one of my favourite Elvis songs, while I could never ever get sick of the electric "Bed of Roses", and I think the two songs complement each other well. "Roses" is quite vocally challenging so kudos again to Jon for bringing it back this tour.



For the record, the Barcelona set also included eight songs from my favourite-but-often-ignored Jovi decade, the 90s; including "Hey God", "Always" (both also tough to sing), and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night".

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it when he sings "Can't help falling in love" before "Bed of Roses".

    It was a shame they did not sing this one in Lisbon.

    PS - Thanks for your note on my blog. Am still blushing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at this concert and man... I couldn't stop crying when they sang it. Just a perfect night :)

    Ainhoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Lee for the tribute to Elivs....as i said before, i feel in love with Elvis at the tender age of 3, and still 52 years later, he is my "angel" in heaven. Been a Jovi fan for all 25+ years, they filled the void when "Elvis left the building" for good. Thank you so much!!!! Tonja

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for giving me your time.