Sunday, July 27, 2008

LH Magic Memory #4: Mercy in Munich

There were many magical moments during this tour, and I'm slowly going through some of them in this little series. But if I had to pick one moment that shocked me more than any other it would be finding out Bon Jovi had covered Duffy's "Mercy" at Olympic Stadium in Munich, Germany. There were calls coming through during the concert that the song had been played in the "Sleep When I'm Dead" medley but no one really believed it until they heard it with their own ears. And when we did, we were floored because it worked so incredibly well. Truth is, I don't listen to much of the current pop charts (at least not regularly), though I had heard "Mercy" once or twice before Munich without really paying attention.

As of May 24, 2008, I started paying attention.

The video below begins with Jon's "poetry" in the middle of "Sleep" before Richie launches into the riff for "Mercy"......


This next one captures Jon's "Mercy" reprise at the end of "Sleep", and the beginning of "Always", which would finally become a semi-regular feature in the set list again during the European leg.


Duffy recently told Spin Magazine that she realised she was playing in the big leagues when Bon Jovi covered her song:

“It’s a strange feeling when a person at that level is playing a song I wrote.

“It’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, I'm really here now. Bon Jovi knows that I exist.’

“A girl from Wales – that’s all I am, really.”


I can't quite tell from that comment whether or not she realises that Bon Jovi is a BAND but not only do they know who she is, Jon has plugged her album quite a few times. ;) I might even end up buying it! It's not the kind of music I'd normally buy but the singles sound decent and I do try to keep an open mind. So Duffy, if I end up spending some of my dosh on Rockferry, you will have one John Francis Bongiovi Jr to thank for it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for giving me your time.